This is the time of year when panic sets in as frost is imminent but there is still plenty in the garden. One of those things that we never seem to use up are the Cherry Tomaotes. We've already frozen a few bags and have run out of room in the freezer. There are still plenty on the vine, so what to do? Try this quick pasta dish which also takes care of a couple of bigger tomatoes and the basil too.
We use Tomato Basil Aioli and Basil Sunflower Oil for the sauce. The Aioli will melt in the warm pasta giving you a yummy creamy sauce. These quantities are rough, will depend on how many you plan to feed. Don't count on leftovers no matter what.
- 2 or 3 medium sized tomatoes chopped up.
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic chopped up.
- 1 onion thinly sliced.
- 1 hot pepper chopped up – optional to add some spice.
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes.
- 1 handful of fresh Basil, torn up.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste.
- Tomato-Basil Aioli.
- Basil Sunflower Oil.
- Pasta of your choice.
- Parmesan Cheese.
- Warm Basil Sunflower Oil in large non stick pan.
- Start the boil of the water for pasta in large pot.
- Add Garlic, Onion, Salt and Pepper to basil oil pan. Cook until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add salt to boiling water, then pasta. Boil to Al dente or preferred doneness.
- Add chopped tomatoes and reduce down, about 15 minutes.
- Add Cherry Tomatoes long enough to warm, not burst, under 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta, return to pot and toss with Basil Sunflower Oil.
- Portion out into bowls, add Cherry Tomato Sauce, swirl in.
- Top with Tomato Basil Aioli, Fresh Basil, Parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy with a fresh baguette.