This recipe was provided by Deb Abbott of Carp, Ontario. It is one of her favourite winter salads so thanks for sharing! Deb also suggested to add 1 cup of either cooked wild rice, whole wheat couscous or quinoa to make for a complete side dish.
Roasted Beet Salad
Author: Deb Abbott
- 2 Tbsp Kricklewood Farm Cold Pressed Sunflower Oil
- 8-10 medium roasted beets sliced (see separate instructions below)
- 1 English cucumber peeled and diced
- 4 green onions – white and some of the green parts diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes diced (Optional)
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- Juice of one Clementine (or small orange) – roughly ⅓ cup
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp toasted sliced almonds (Optional)
- Oven Roasted Beets – Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash beets but do not peel. Make a large packet using aluminum foil, place washed beets in the packet, sprinkle liberally with white balsamic vinegar (or white vinegar) and seal the packet. Place packet on a baking sheet and bake for an hour or until the beets are tender. Carefully open the packet and let the beets cool before taking the skins off. Store in a covered container in the fridge with the vinegar that was used to roast the beets or add in additional white balsamic vinegar (or white vinegar). The beets will keep in the fridge for a few weeks.
- In a serving bowl combine the beets, cucumber, onions, tomatoes and feta cheese.
- Combine the Clementine juice, sunflower oil, salt and pepper, and hot pepper flakes in a small mixing bowl and drizzle over the salad.
- Toss the salad to incorporate the dressing. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve at room temperature.