This recipe comes compliments of Wendy Banks from Wendy’s Country Market in Lyndhurst, Ontario. This is a hearty cold weather stew that combines lots of root vegetables and local pork for a satisfying belly-filling dish.
Pork and Celery Stew
Author: Wendy Banks
Recipe type: Stew - Main Course
Serves: 6 servings
- ½ cup Kricklewood Farm Sunflower Oil.
- 41/2 lbs of boneless pork shoulder, cut into large chunks.
- 2 onions sliced.
- 4 cups water.
- 4 carrots, cut into large pieces.
- 3 lb lb celery root cut into slices.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks.
- 1 tsp sea salt.
- 1 tsp pepper.
- 2 tsp thyme.
- 1 tbsp flour.
- juice from 2 lemons.
- Heat the sunflower oil to medium - high in a large pot, add meat and brown on all sides.
- Add onion and cook till soft.
- Add water, carrots, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and boil for 45 minutes.
- Add celery root and cook for 10 minutes then add potato, cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn off Heat.
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice and flour and stir till flour dissolves.
- Add ½ cup liquid from pot , stir to mix well, add back to pot and mix well. .
- Cover the pot and heat back up, then serve.