Garlic Scapes are the flower stalks that spring out of hard neck garlic bulbs and are in season in our area now. They have a mild garlic flavour without the hot garlic bite and are part of this recipe for a delicious pesto using Kricklewood Farm Sunflower Oil. Scapes are very nutritous as well, packed full of vitamin C and A . This recipe, compliments of Wendy’s Country Market, makes an easy addition to any pasta, used with fish or as a dip.
- 1 lb garlic scapes, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ¼ cups grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Kricklewood Farm Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Blend garlic scapes, cheese, oil, and lemon juice in a food processor till smooth.
- To enjoy, toss with pasta, spread on crackers, use as a topping on a baked potato with sour cream. as a pizza sauce.