This is a perfect Valentine’s Day dessert for chocolate lovers! It’s more heart healthy than recipes that call for butter so no guilt either!
Author: Kricklewood Farm
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup Kricklewood Farm Sunflower Oil plus more for garnish
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 large eggs, separated
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Chocolate shavings and coarse sea salt for garnish
- Put the chocolate in microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave, about 1 – 2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and ⅓ cup of sugar until sugar is fully incorporated and yolks have lightened to a pale yellow.
- Add the oil and salt and whisk well to combine.
- Add the melted chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining ⅓ cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add a heaping spoonful of egg white to the chocolate mixture and mix well until combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the large bowl of egg whites and fold gently with a rubber spatula until the chocolate and egg whites and evenly combined.
- Pour or spoon the mousse into 6 – 8 bowls.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with a drizzle of oil, chocolate shavings and coarse sea salt when serving